First Period Blog

First Period Blog

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Poor Little Rich Kid


This reading seemed to subtly bring up a problem that I am slightly careful to call “big”. I take caution in calling it a big problem because of course; in perspective it does not seem to be much of a problem at all. Thus far, the novel has been the narrator speaking of his past. The most common thing that I see in his past is his pursuit for his father’s approval and love.
            Amir is more jealous of anything of the way his father displays affection and approval of Hasaan. It seems as if the majority of Amir’s actions can be traced back to wanting his father to approve of him. All he really wants is to please his father. This seems to be the biggest problem that children with parents that are well off face. Their parents, usually fathers, seem to be so involved in their riches and work that the children are often neglected. Yes, to an outsider the kid has everything he needs in life- money, food on his plate, a bed to sleep on, and more. This “poor little rich kid” lacks parental love and affection - one of the most important things in life (to me of course).
            Of course relative to the problems starving people face in severely impoverished countries Amir’s troubles are not much. Nevertheless, to him it is still a problem. His pursuit for his father’s approval seems to be an empty one because whatever he does his father seems to ignore.  Amir’s father cannot seem to internalize the fact that Amir is not at fault for his mother’s death and I think that is why he never approves and praises Amir as much as he does Hasaan. This is also one of Amir’s greatest problems: he feels that he is at fault for something he had no control over. It really struck me when he spoke about winning the Kite Runner competition and saying that “maybe finally [my father] will forgive me for killing my mother”. He strongly believes that he is the reason his mother died. I think that he, to some extent, might even liken himself to a murderer because of the way his father treats him. Though on medical terms, his birth did kill his mother that is not his fault. I think the erroneous belief that it is his fault is holding him back from going anywhere in life. In all honesty, I do not think Amir will go far in life if he keeps living for his father’s approval. I do not believe that anyone goes anywhere in life when they live for someone else. The only way to really get life out of life is to live for oneself. 

- Talia Akerman

No comments:

Post a Comment