First Period Blog

First Period Blog

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Comment on Ben's post

Ben, I can relate to how infuriating Amir's actions are. I found myself thinking about The Kite Runner days after I finished the reading; I could not accept the extreme selfishness of Amir's actions and the catastrophes they have caused.  Then I found myself remembering something that I  imagine most of us tend to forget: Amir is a child. He does not possess the ability to imagine consequences and weigh his options carefully. Sure, helping out a friend in need is common sense, but children of his age tend to be extremely selfish. After being neglected by his father his entire life, Amir could not bring himself to lose the opportunity to win his love.
Like I mentioned in my post, Amir does not realize what it is his father truly wants of him. Had he understood what winning the tournament would mean to his father (teamwork and honor), he would have easily realized that saving Hassan would be a far more noble act.
The guilt that Amir feels afterwards shows that he does actually have a conscience and a heart. In his desperation, he will do anything to alleviate his guilt. In the process he goes to extreme measures. However, I am certain that one day, when Amir is older, he will come to understand his love and gratefulness toward Hassan, and attempt to repent for his sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment