First Period Blog

First Period Blog

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Comment to Anike's Post


I was stunned by home much I agreed with Anike’s post and by how much it coincided with mine. She just like I trace Amir’s feeling of unworthiness to the death of his mother. Like I said in my post, the death was not his fault and his failure to see that has led him on a quest of pleasing his father. The only thing that I did not really agree with that Anike said was her idea of the reader’s perspective. She noted early on in her post that from the “reader’s” perspective the competition that Amir constantly creates with Hasaan is cruel and unfair. The only thing I see wrong with her comment is that she makes the reader seem like a unified group. In reality not all readers are going to see it as cruel and unfair, in fact I think a lot of the readers are going to find this competition natural. Humans are genetically prone and supposed to compete with each other; the competitive exclusion principle of biology is not a principle for nothing. Amir’s competition is nothing out of the ordinary it is instinct and completely fair. He is not really engaging in a physical completion with Hasaan so I see nothing wrong with it. He is competing for his father’s love and approval something that even biological siblings do with one another. Even though Anike said that it was point of view that makes the reader change their opinion of whether or not the competition Amir makes is fair I think it is mentality and knowledge of the governing principles of life that will change how someone views the competition.  

-Talia Akerman

No comments:

Post a Comment