First Period Blog

First Period Blog

Sunday, November 24, 2013

My response to Davis' post

Camille Kelleher
Davis touched upon something that I think is really evident in this story, the similarities this story has with the Holocaust. Assef, the boy who raped Hassan, idolizes Hitler as a man who knows the difference between the people who are worthy and the people who need to be eradicated. The Hazaras resemble the Jews because they are prejudiced and the only roles that they can obtain are the servants of the wealthy. Amir keeps referencing to a time in the future when Afghanistan is no longer peaceful. It will be interesting to see may be that Afghanistan does not want Hazaras living in their state, like the genocide of the Jews. I find it ironic that Baba treats Assef like his own son, even though Assef resembles Hitler. This only supports my point that Baba is an antagonist in this story.


Also, I agree with Davis that Amir is a terrible person. I kept trying to see him in another light, one where I should feel bad for Amir because of his father, but I don’t think that the conditional love between him and Baba is an excuse for how Amir treats Hassan. It is truly inexcusable. Even a man as materialistic and self-patronizing as Baba is respectful to Hazaras. I really want Hassan to start sticking up for himself, that way Amir will feel satisfied because he wants Hassan to stick up for himself and his culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment