First Period Blog

First Period Blog

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Overall thoughts through Pg. 100

Through the first 100 pages, I've enjoyed some things, and hated others. I'll start with what I do like.

In comparison to the other books we've read so far, this is definitely the most straightforward. I'm sure no one is having trouble deciphering the plot or possibly getting stuck in the middle of some tough paragraphs, something that happened to me a countless amount of times in Atlas Shrugged. I also think that Hosseini allows the plot to flow very well. The reading is fast, and is straight to the point, something I really enjoy.

Although enjoying some, I hate some as well. The plot and character development is brutally grotesque and hard to believe. The raping paired up with Amir's response to it is just sickening. Amir's character development transforms into one that resembles something of insanity and obsessive compulsive disorder. He's trying with all of the mental effort expendable to fix the guilt he feels. What he does not understand is that the prevention of this came before, when the opportunity to stop the rape had shown up, not now after the horrific event. This leads Amir to hurting Hassan even more when Amir throws the pomegranates at Hassan, looking for an angry reaction. Amir thinks that pain is the way out, which is completely wrong. That's what frustrates me. This idea that Amir can solve his problem by feeling the same feelings Hassan felt is just absolutely mad.

Amir is beginning to realize how much he hates the world around him. He rather stay inside, doing homework. Rather than moving on from the past, he gets bogged down by it. That's what I think Hosseini is trying to emphasize. Amir has so many great things in his life, but when something tragic happens to him, he forgets to look around toward the positive energy, and he rather turn to the negativity around him. Amir should stop feeling guilty, and pour out his emotions to someone, something much easier said than done, but it must be done if Amir wants to escape the hole he's dug himself into.

The last sequence on page 100 really stood out to me. The sight of Hassan serving Assef and his two other friends is just sick. Hosseini implies a light smile on the face of Assef. When picturing this in my mind, I really started feeling angry. Seeing poor Hassan, powerless and submissive at the hands of Assef, is sad. I dont think I could stay emotionless like Hassan, I'd definitely explode at the sight of Assef.

No comments:

Post a Comment