First Period Blog

First Period Blog

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Comment on Chow's: "New Republic"

I have got to agree with you, Jon. I think that the way Hosseini has set up the novel so far is that Amir is going to have to make a pivotal choice that will ultimately influence who Amir will become as an adult. Hassan is the only person to truthfully show Amir compassion, and Amir basically still spits in his face because of the people like Assef that construct the society's ethnicity groups with their fists.

I read ahead a bit to pg. 80, so I know what happens. Jon makes a good call with the hint with Assef. I sensed that same ominous feeling when Assef was first introduced, and it's ultimately shown when Assef torments Hassan in they alley after running down Amir's winning kite.

It's really interesting to see how Amir choices and the road he's headed. Like Jon said, the boys' lives are going to change, and I think that it's going to come down to the choices they make, rather than how the surrounding characters influence the society. So far, Amir has shown his path and where he's going, based on his terrible decision making. Hassan has not shown us anything really, mainly because he is acting instinctively, and not thinking through. I think that he's going to start thinking more, and start making poor decisions as well, especially after his horrific experience with Assef.

I love the novel so far, and I think that as the two boys grow up, the more weight their decisions will have on that growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment