First Period Blog

First Period Blog

Monday, January 13, 2014

Reaction To Kite Runner as a whole

                For starters, I enjoyed this book much more than Atlas Shrugged. Not only was it shorter and easier to read, but in my opinion it was more entertaining and in the sense that the top was more interesting. In other words, I realized that I liked The Kite Runner each moment before I began reading. In the case of Atlas Shrugged or my term paper book, I would complain about having to read or get lazy and try to put it off until the last minute. With this book, I did not mind reading. I did not get annoyed that I had to read because I do so happily. The Kite Runner is relatable, not because I have or I know someone who has gone through what Amir has, but because It is easy for me to picture what I happening. I can see someone living his life and that is probably what the movie will take away, my own perspective.              
                Throughout the first half of the book, I strongly detested Amir. Although some of it came from how much he picked on Hassan, most of it originated from what he did not do. When Amir sees his best friend, the one person he loves, the only person that stands up for him getting raped, I do not understand how he stays back and watches. First of all, the fact that he stayed and saw everything, such as the blood falling from his pants sickens me. If you are not going to act, run away and get some help or at the very least cover your eyes because the sight is too difficult to bear. The way he stood there, just gazing made me think that he did not care as much. Maybe it is just because I have a different personality, but if I saw that happening to anyone I know, even if they are not a close friend or family member, I would intervene and try to stop it. Knowing my short fuse I would have probably started a fight and gotten beaten up badly. However, it is a risk I would take and a risk I think everyone would or at least should take in this situation. Another thing I do not understand is how Hassan did not mention it. If I were Hassan, I would have probably punched Amir in the face. Even though Hassan understands his role in the house, sometimes you have to stand up for yourself. Instead of standing up for Amir all the time, Hassan should stand up to Amir for himself.  For some reason this moment just stayed with me throughout the book and I have been unable to let Amir live it down, even when he does something great, it is always in the back of my mind.
                One thing that did make me happy is that Amir and Baba were finally connecting. His whole childhood he fought for his dad’s attention and wanted Baba to be proud of him and after so many years he finally achieved it. Although it does not really matter, a father is someone who will always have an effect on your life and I think it is a good thing that Amir and Baba left their relationship on good terms. I can relate to this specific situation because when I was younger, my father and I did not get along at all. Freshman year I even broke my hand by punching a concrete wall because I got into a fight with my dad. Last year, I could not speak to my father because every situation ended in college and soccer and how I was irresponsible. I understand what Amir went through because it is hard to be in that situation. Nevertheless, now my father has realized that I’m in a good position and I have a really close relationship with him. The same happened with Amir. Babe realized that he got really good grades, is very smart and is going to college. Baba even bought him a car to show how proud he was.  This was one of the only happy moments in the book, which is then destroyed by Baba’s death and by the fact that Baba never had the chance to have a relationship with his other son.

                When it comes to Sohrab’s adoption, I think that most of it had to do with guilt and the lack of other options. From the beginning any reader could tell that Amir was not hesitant, but rejected Rahim Kahn’s advice. He was not ready and unwilling to have a son. He decided to save him from the orphanage because it was the right thing to do and because he owed to himself and Hassan. It was a way of making right all that he did wrong. Yet, the act of saving him was pure guilt. He decided to take him to the U.S because there was no other option; he could not go to another orphanage and no one else would take care of him. The ending is somewhat delightful however, and makes one believe that Sohrab will have a splendid future ahead of him.


Jose Novas

No comments:

Post a Comment