First Period Blog

First Period Blog

Monday, January 13, 2014

Kite Runner Final Post

            I greatly enjoyed reading the novel “The Kite Runner” by Khaled Hosseini. To me, the part of the book that alluded my attention the most was the different definitions of brotherhood that are displayed by both the protagonist, Amir, and several other characters. At the beginning of the novel, we are introduced to Hassan and Amir, two young boys who appear to be best friends. However, it is revealed that Hassan is really a servant for Amir’s family. He is also a Hazzarah. Because of this, Hassan is viewed by Amir and many others in society as inferior. Amir loves him in some situations but only thinks of him as a servant in others. On the other hand, Hassan would do anything for Amir and is even willing to make drastic sacrifices, as far as being raped by Assef, to make Amir happy.
            However, in order to be a brother we learn that Amir thinks you actually have to be related by blood to the person. This is kind of upset me as I was reading the novel. A brother is someone who you would do anything for, your best friend. I feel as towards the end of the novel Amir starts to see this. The way Hassan’s son spoke about the stories that Hassan had told him made something click in Amir’s head and he finally realized that he was wrong in this situation. Even though he finds out that Amir and Hassan were actually related by blood (as Baba was in actuality Hassan’s father), I feel that even if Amir did not find out that Hassan was not in fact his brother by blood, he still would have taken Sorhab in because of the concept of brotherhood that was taught to him later in his life by his mentor Rahim Kahn.
            Another part of the brotherhood situation that drew my attention was the ability of Hassan to forget about the past and move on. this was particularly interesting because of Amir’s inability to perform the same action. Even though it was Amir’s fault Hassan was raped, he never blamed him for it. He forgave him and tried to create a relationship with him. Hassan did not keep a grudge and try to get back at Amir. On the other hand, Amir felt guilty and did not approach Hassan about the situation. Instead, he made the situation even worse and tried to get Hassan kicked out of his house. He used Hassan’s love for Amir to his own advantage and abused the situation. However, since this was a coming of age story for Amir, he is able to learn how to forget about the past by the end of the novel. Even though it entailed him getting his a** beat, it still, in a sense, made him forgive himself for the situation. In my opinion, Hassan would have been happy if he had learned Amir finally wanted to reunite with him.

            Overall I enjoyed reading “The Kite Runner” more than any book or story we have ready this year, especially “Atlas Shrugged”. For most of the other books, I saw it as a punishment. I absolutely hated reading most of them. However, when I sat down to read “The Kite Runner” I found my self reading more and more pages each time. I would get caught in the storyline and read more pages then I had initially anticipated. I think this is due to the fact that it was very realistic. The story was very believable, and made sense. I also think the fact that it was easier to read (I did not have to read each page three times like I had to do for “Atlas Shrugged”) made it much more enjoyable. Also, going to Temple Beth Am for elementary school, I would sit in class in learn about many different nations in the Middle East. I had an understanding of the conflicts in that area of the world. The summer going into sophomore year I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to attend Alexander Muss High School in Israel. As I kept on reading throughout the book, I could not think of all of the Muslim neighborhoods that I saw while in this part of the world. I was able to paint a picture of what was occurring in my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment