First Period Blog

First Period Blog

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Amir's New Life

It was foreshadowed that Amir and Soraya would be romantically involved from the first day that he saw her and even dreamt about her, and I was happy to find out that General Taheri allowed the marriage to happen because it didn’t seem like he respected Amir’s profession much. I thought General Taheri would tell Amir that his daughter needed someone with a profession with a future and safe financial stability. It was a generalization of some sort because I saw the possibility of the General telling Amir that writing wasn’t a legit career and being a doctor or a lawyer would be the best way to go. I was happy to find out that Amir’s book turned out to help their money issues and that he became an acknowledged writer because it seemed to prove a lot of Baba’s concerns and disappointments with Amir wrong. What I was not happy to discover is that such a great man would fall in such a horrible and defeating manner which not even the best of men could overcome without medical help. It is evident that Baba’s strong-minded independence led to his demise because he did not want to be taken care of by others and wanted his life to end honorably and with his pride of self-reliance still intact. I also think that by Amir asking his father to go ask for Soraya’s hand right before he dies was somewhat of an unselfish act because he honestly did not have to rush it, but he wanted to do his father the honor of having his soon marry and give him the opportunity to witness his only son join with a woman to make a new life.

I was glad when Soraya told Amir the truth because they did not really know much of one another and it would be bad to start this marriage with lies. I was confused when Soraya said that her father brought a gun when he went to go get her because it leaves me at a point where I’m not sure if he killed the Afghan or not, and by making her cut her hair, I think that was to publicly embarrass her and let others know she had acted foolishly. So obviously Soraya has had some traumatic events happen in her life just like Amir, and so I think their personalities will connect well.

No comments:

Post a Comment